Thursday, September 20, 2007

Wonderful Vacation in Manhattan


333

Ah, Manhattan, NYC! I thought I wouldn't like it anymore since my life has changed so dramatically. I was wrong: breakfast on Broadway watching my favorite people (all colors, all nationalities, all religions, all styles, and even the homeless community meeting each other on benches); Central Park and Summerstage concerts; the Hudson River, Riverside Park and the Rotunda; the market in Union Square, the mishmash of 14th Street, subway musicians, and the subway rides in summer; neighborhoods I've known and loved; restaurants unlike any others and the availability of almost anything you might want. On my 2nd day at around 7 pm I stopped on the sidewalk and breathed deeply because the smell of Manhattan on a summer evening is something special. Of course, there have been changes since 2004, but Manhattan is always changing; some good, some bad.

One of the changes that I did not like in Manhattan (and in Connecticut where I stayed for a few days) was the architecture. When I first saw the hodgepodge of architectural styles called postmodern in the 90s I disliked what I saw, but what was mildly disturbing then has become frightening in the most recent architecture. It appears that corporations have a real taste for a mix of blockhouse, penitentiary, and grandiosity. Are they walling in, walling out, or both? On a day of 95 degrees there is a chill in the area of these buildings.

The best part of the vacation was dining, partying, and talking with my son and friends. Dan now lives on the Mianus River. Waking up in his room was a bit of Tarzan and Jane. With glass on three sides the leaves of trees surrounded the room, sun rays passing through. Egrets flew by and kayak rowers made their way up river. The party that weekend was a wonderful combination of my friends, his friends, our friends, new friends and good food. Back in Manhattan the team from FCH&S (Scott, Brian, Jeff, Dillion and Wasan) took me to lunch at the Olive Garden. The only photos I have of my trip are those that Scott took (see above & among photos). At the office I spent hours reconnecting with other workers. Their warm welcome was overwhelming. My good friend Monika S. had recovered from a car accident and we had a wonderful dinner together at City Lobster. So good to be with her and enjoy her wry humor. Then I spent a day in the park listening to music with Dan and friends (Andy, Anisa, Chris and Noel). Andy and I were celebrating our birthdays. I was completely taken by the lush green of the park after living in tan and sandy Peru for 2 1/2 years.

I stayed in a hotel that I recommend if you like the upper westside and do not care how small and non-luxury your hotel room is: Riverside Tower Hotel. Very affordable and close to restaurants, stores and the subway. I had accepted the generous offer of friend and former neighbor Kyle to stay in her apartment while she was in Spain and moved uptown. Her top floor apartment has breathtaking views of the Hudson and downtown Manhattan. There I met Christophe and his friends Aurelie and Faycal from Paris and Brigitte (now living in the US). These were lovely and intelligent people who made my stay even more pleasurable. Christophe introduced me to Mariage Freres' Lapsang Souchong tea. No tea has ever tasted this good. My friend Monika R. came up for dinner and brought the best bottle of wine I have ever had. My sister and brother-in-law took me to dinner at a terrific Thai place and friend Julie made me a great dinner at her place. Friend Jon and I walked through Riverside Park until it started to rain. I have forgotten to say how special it was to be in the rain in NYC. Our area of Peru gets 1/4 inch of rain a year and I was feeling deprived. Jon also showed me some of his new purchases of excellent antiquarian books.

On the way back I spent hours at the airport with newly met friend, Esther (she was going to Argentina) and we now keep in touch by email. When not with friends, I spent hours and hours shopping for things you cannot get in Peru. The Customs searcher in Peru laughed when his x-ray showed a stainless steel dish rack and drainer in one suitcase. So now I am back and if I could afford it I would spend one month a year in Manhattan. Thank you to everyone who made my trip an exciting experience to remember for many years.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a wonderful vacation. I noticed you enjoyed a good cup of Lapsang Souchong, I linked one here that I just adore.