Monday, September 10, 2007

LOCHE: AN UNUSUAL VEGETABLE FROM PERU

Loche is a word which brings up an extraordinary group of pictures in Google Image, but not the loche from Peru. There is one photo of a giant zappallo (pumpkin) which is listed as a loche, but it is not.

As far as I have been able to discover, the loche does not exist outside Peru. The loche is a delicious winter squash indigenous to northern Peru and is used mainly in stews. It cooks quickly, but retains its firmness well. The color of the pulp is a lovely orange and the taste is sweet, but not cloying. We have yet to try making a pie from it, but it should be excellent for this.

Legend has it that loche will only germinate if women plant it. Rather than plant the seeds (there usually are none & any found seem to be sterile), a piece of the vine is planted. I believe this makes it somewhat unusual for squash.

The squash, itself, is dark green with some bluish tints, has irregular and bumpy ribbing running from the stem to the bottom. The skin is tough like an acorn squash. It generally is about 8 to 9 inches long and 4 to 5 inches at its widest.

If anyone has a picture of the squash or its vine, or more information about it, please contact me. Thanks. Meanwhile I will try to remember to take a picture of it and upload it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw the Zappallo seed for the first time here in Lowe's in Colorado Springs, Colorado. My plants are spreading everywhere. I planted them in early June from seed in sandy soil.I have 4 plants.I have fruit thst is probably ripe but I am going to give it a few more days...probably about 6 inches wide. I am a woman so they germinated just fine for me!